Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ryan Franklin, Fans, and Other Ramblings

It seems there are 2 thoughts about booing your team.
  • I paid my money and I'll behave and boo as I want.
  • Booing your team isn't the right thing to do no matter how the team or individual is performing.

If you choose to boo, then boo. I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't.  Don't shout obscenities, be belligerent, or downright hurtful in things you are shouting.  I get that fans think it helps to relieve their frustrations and anger and that you need an outlet.  Some of the things I've seen and heard are uncalled for.


It's not something I'm going to do.  I don't see the point.  Do you think the players want to perform poorly?  Is your booing going to magically turn their performances around?  Do you think it makes it any better?  Do you think that most, if not all players are disappointed if they stink?



Franklin comes out with a statement saying he's upset with the booing and that he doesn't think the fans are the "best fans in baseball".  People mention that he's making millions of dollars so he should be able to handle it.  Should he have handled it better? Yes.  Should he have chosen his words better?  Yes.  Should he be called scum and worse like some people are saying?  No.  


How do you handle it when you get a scolding by your boss or a customer for a poor performance?  Do you not get frustrated or sulk?  Do you pretend it doesn't affect you?  I know it affects me.  I guess I'm not man enough to handle it as I'm getting paid to perform a duty.  Oh well.


1 comment:

  1. Nice post. You said basically what I was aiming at - but with a far superior economy of words!
    The Redbirds Report

    ReplyDelete